3 Remedies for when you have a bit too much fun at your Christmas party!
Drinking alcohol comes with a lot of headaches; sometimes literally! Dealing with a hangover is not fun, what with its symptoms like fatigue, headache, nausea, dizziness, thirst and sensitivity to light or sound.
So, what can you do?
1. Prevention is usually better than cure
- Do not drink at all, or at least, cut down your alcohol intake. Drinking a lot of water before, during and after is essential; 2 glasses of water for each glass of alcohol you take.
- You can also try to eat foods containing protein and healthy fats like meat, fish, eggs, beans, nuts and seeds. Since they are broken down more slowly than say carbohydrates, they stay in the stomach longer and give all that alcohol a nice comfy bed to lie on.
2. If you do drink...
- Experts say not all alcoholic drinks are the same; some contain more congeners (toxic chemical by-products) than others. Some studies show that consuming drinks with high amounts of congeners could increase the frequency and severity of a hangover.
Drinks that are low in congeners include vodka, gin and rum, with vodka containing almost no congeners at all while tequila, whiskey and cognac are all high in congeners, with bourbon whiskey containing the highest amount.
3. And when you get home...
- Eat a big breakfast! This is one of the best-known remedies for a hangover, probably because a good breakfast helps us maintain blood sugar levels and low blood sugar levels have been associated with hangovers.
- Eat foods that are good for your liver because it has a lot of work to do. The liver breaks down and processes most of the alcohol we consume so try onions, garlic and vegetables like kale and cabbage.
- Try vitamins as well, especially Vitamin C. Vitamin C is necessary for energy production, for proper immune function, and as an antioxidant to neutralize free radicals.
- Get a lot of sleep! Fatigue, headaches and irritability are hangover symptoms made worse by lack of sleep so allow your body recover by getting a good night (or day)'s sleep.
- Have you heard of 'Hair of the Dog'? A lot of people swear by this cure. In summary, you take one more 'dose' of alcohol to cure your hangover! If that sounds crazy, wait until you hear that it may work.
The theory is that if you drink a little bit more, it can change the way methanol (a chemical found in small amounts in alcoholic beverages) is processed in your body. and ensuring that methanol is then safely excreted from the body.
We hope these tips will help but remember to either not drink at all, drink in moderation, and please do not drink and drive.
To watch Fine Living Network, Travel Channel, Fashion TV and other world-class lifestyle channels buy a Kwesé decoder online. For a unique business opportunity apply to become a Kwesé dealer. Subscribers can now stream our channels LIVE on Kwesé.com.
Read full story
More from source